Monday, June 13, 2016

Rock Band Guitar Tilt Sensor Fix

Today I fixed both my Rock Band 2 guitars' tilt sensors.
I bought a 10-pack of tilt sensors on amazon.com. You can find them here.

So take your guitar and undo all the screws on the back panel. Keep track of where they go cause some of them are longer than others.


I like to make a diagram like this and punch the screws in through the paper so I can keep track of them.
When you open the guitar, careful not to rip out the battery cable.
Here's your tilt sensor. I was having trouble activating Overdrive and my multimeter showed me the sensors were not closing the circuit correctly. Unscrew these two screws holding the card in place.


Then unhook the cable from the main circuit card.
You might need to loosen the four screws holding the main card in order to get the cable out fully.
Next up is unhooking the cable from the overdrive minijack port.
Take off the screw

Then disconnect the plug
Now you have the card by itself.
Let's take a closer look. The two black barrel-shaped components are tilt sensors.

We'll need to desolder the tilt sensors and place the new ones like so.
Melt the solder with your soldering iron. Use a solder wick to absorb the molten solder.
After a little while, you'll have removed all the solder. Try hard not to solder the wick to the circuit board.

Now to prep the new components.

Solder the new tilt sensors.

Put everything back together and test.
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment